When it comes to SEO, emerging brands often face a David versus Goliath scenario.
Battling against the towering presence of established brands on Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs) can feel like an uphill struggle, especially when these giants wield the formidable arsenal of backlinks and high-budget content strategies. So, how can new brands carve out their space in this competitive landscape?
Enter the unsung heroes of the SEO world: zero volume keywords. These are the unique, often overlooked keywords that don’t register on the usual SEO radars. You won’t find them in your keyword tools – they’re much more aloof!
So, before you write your next blog post, read on to learn about the potential goldmine that is zero volume keywords and how they provide a strategic edge for emerging brands.
Facing the dominance of large brands
The prominence of large brands on search engine results pages is more than just a perception. It’s a well-established reality. Industry titans, armed with robust domain authorities and extensive backlink portfolios, often dominate the top spots in Google’s SERPs.
Why does the Independent rank so well for the ‘best barbeques’?
As Sean Kaye succinctly puts it: “Are Forbes and CNET also well known experts in air fryers, BBQ Grills in 2023, and coffee makers?”
Genuine question – why are large sites like New York Magazine, CNN, Tom’s Guide, CNET, Forbes, and Business Insider not deemed unhelpful in the extreme when they write unrelated content purely targeting search engines.— Sean Kaye (@SeanDoesLife) October 24, 2023
Let me give you my logic.
Presumably Google ranks these…
This dominance isn’t merely about having superior content. It’s also a reflection of the power that comes with extensive resources and established online histories. For them, achieving high visibility is part of an ongoing cycle, where their current top positions help secure future rankings, creating a formidable barrier for newcomers.
This landscape poses a significant challenge for new and budding brands. Trying to outdo these established players on popular, high-volume keywords can feel like an exercise in futility.
The algorithms that power search engines like Google, place considerable weight on backlinks as signals of a website’s authority and relevance. As a result, websites with a strong backlink profile tend to rank higher. This reliance on backlinks creates an implicit bias towards older, more established brands, making it harder for newer sites to break through.
For consumers, this monopolisation of the SERPs by large corporations can limit the diversity of information and choice available. From the perspective of smaller brands, this environment can be disheartening. Despite having excellent services, valuable content and compelling value propositions, these brands may find themselves side-lined in search results due to a lack of extensive backlink networks.
Everytime I think I'm ready to start blogging, it seems harder to make it a success.— Money Rubric (@moneyrubric) October 24, 2023
Yes, it can feel like blogging is getting harder, but…
Fear not! It’s not all doom and gloom.
The evolving nature of search presents unique opportunities for agile, innovative brands willing to think outside the conventional SEO box. This is where zero volume keywords come into play, offering a beacon of hope and a strategy to level the playing field…
Zero volume keywords: A strategic advantage
For new brands looking to gain a foothold on Google, one fruitful strategy is finding and capitalising on zero volume keywords. These are search queries that, according to traditional keyword research tools, have little to no monthly search volume. But this lack of apparent popularity is precisely what makes them a goldmine for savvy marketers. With fewer competitors vying for these terms, new brands have a unique opportunity to occupy and dominate these niche areas.
The power of zero volume keywords stems from their specificity. They often represent hyper-focused queries that large brands overlook. These keywords cater to a very particular segment of an audience, one that is often searching for detailed, nuanced information. By targeting these terms, new brands can provide tailored solutions and information, effectively addressing the needs of this audience. This targeted approach not only helps in attracting traffic but also in building brand authority in specific niches.
15% of Google’s daily searches have never been searched before.
That’s 1.275 billion searches using zero volume keywords. Simply put, there’s a vast, untapped reservoir of opportunities waiting to be explored.
This illustrates the dynamic nature of user search behaviour. It highlights a continuously evolving landscape with new opportunities emerging daily. For new brands, this represents a fertile ground for exploration and innovation. By keeping a finger on the pulse of emerging trends and unaddressed queries, brands can pre-emptively create content that addresses these gaps, positioning themselves as pioneers in their respective niches.
In essence, zero volume keywords offer new brands a way to sidestep the intense competition on popular keywords. They allow these brands to discover and leverage the ‘back door’ into the SERPs, where they can establish a presence without direct competition from established giants.
This approach is not just about getting traffic. It’s about finding the right kind of traffic – visitors who are genuinely interested in what the brand has to offer.
Why zero volume keywords matter for new bands
The strategic targeting of zero volume keywords is more than just an SEO tactic. It’s a vital component of a comprehensive digital marketing strategy for new brands. Here’s why…
- Less competition, more visibility: Zero volume keywords are less contested, offering new brands a clearer path to visibility. Without the fierce competition for high-volume keywords, your content has a better chance of ranking higher in SERPs, giving your brand much-needed exposure.
- Building authority in niche areas: By focusing on specific, less commonly targeted queries, new brands can establish themselves as authorities in niche subjects. This specialised knowledge builds trust with your audience and positions your brand as a go-to resource in your field.
- Aligning with specific user intent: Zero volume keywords often align closely with specific user intents. Catering to these precise needs can lead to higher engagement and conversion rates, as you’re addressing the exact queries your target audience is searching for.
- Future-proofing your SEO strategy: The landscape of search is constantly evolving, with new trends and consumer needs emerging regularly. By targeting zero volume keywords, brands can stay ahead of the curve, tapping into emerging trends before they become mainstream and competitive.
- Quality traffic over quantity: The goal isn’t just to drive a high volume of traffic, but to attract the right kind of traffic. Users who find your site through these targeted searches are more likely to be genuinely interested in your offerings, leading to better engagement and higher chances of conversion.
- Diversifying your SEO portfolio: Just as in investing, diversification in SEO is key to resilience. Zero volume keywords add variety to your SEO strategy, reducing dependence on a few high-competition keywords and spreading risk across a broader range of terms.
- Utilise tools: Some keyword research tools might fall flat. And whatever you do, don’t try ChatGPT for Keyword Research. However, there are tools out there that can help you tap into new emerging trends – like explodingtopics.com. Take a look at this exploding topic!
For emerging brands, the message is clear. Don’t be discouraged by the dominance of big players. And don’t get hung up on popular keywords.
Instead, embrace the untapped potential of zero volume keywords. This approach can be your secret weapon, helping you carve out your own space in the crowded digital landscape. By staying attuned to the evolving needs of your audience and continuously adapting your content strategy, you can turn these hidden gems into powerful tools for growth and success.
Top tip: Blogging is an incredible way to target zero volume keywords. Don’t believe us? Read: Digital Dialogue: 12 Benefits of Blogging for Businesses.
How to find zero volume keywords?
Identifying zero volume keywords may seem like searching for a needle in a haystack, but with the right strategies, it can become a systematic and fruitful endeavour. Here are some practical methods to unearth these hidden keyword treasures:
- Listen to your audience: Your customers are your best source of information. Pay close attention to the language they use during sales calls, customer service interactions and in feedback. Often, the specific phrases and questions they use can lead you to valuable zero volume keywords.
- Utilise Google’s autocomplete and related searches: Google’s autocomplete feature offers insights into what people are searching for but might not be heavily targeted yet. Similarly, the ‘Related Searches’ at the bottom of Google’s SERPs can unveil less common queries related to your main keywords.
- Explore niche forums and social media groups: Online communities are hotbeds for niche topics and specific queries. Platforms like Reddit, LinkedIn groups and industry-specific forums are places where people ask detailed questions and discuss new trends that might not have high search volumes yet.
- Engage in industry groups and events: Networking with peers at industry events, participating in professional groups and staying updated with industry magazines can provide early insight into emerging topics. These sources often reveal the buzzwords and questions that are just starting to gain traction.
- Leverage customer reviews and feedback: Customer reviews and testimonials often contain specific language and questions about your product or service. These can be a rich source of zero volume keywords, as they reflect the real terms and concerns of your audience.
By employing these methods, you can start building a list of zero volume keywords that are relevant to your brand and audience. The key is to remain curious, observant and always in tune with the evolving needs and language of your target market.
Zeroing in on SEO success!
If the idea of tapping into this rich vein of untapped potential excites you, but you’re not sure where to start, Wrise is here to help you.
Our team specialises in crafting unique strategies that harness the power of zero volume keywords, helping brands to not only compete but stand out in a crowded online landscape.